A full re-design of DMM’s brand identity from logo through to packaging, and a comprehensive brand guidelines was produced to rationalise DMM’s various business areas under one dynamic and consistent look.
How we approached the brand identity design
I was lucky enough to have worked with DMM Climbing for a number of years, gaining an in-depth knowledge of their business before we were asked to look and their brand identity design. It came about after the business undertook a restructure, and DMM Professional was brought into the same marketing team responsibility. Knowing how DMM design and create both innovative and groundbreaking climbing safety gear for the the public and professionals, the way the business portrayed itself needed to reflect this. Extensive competitor research was where I started…
Redesigning a brand
In the the brief, the key requests were that they wanted to retain the logo they had used for a few years and shout that the gear they produce is made in Wales and manufactured to a higher standard than anywhere else in the world. First job – anaylise the logo…
After performing a critique on the design of the logo, we were able to redesign it whilst keeping its essence. This then helped inform the rest of the style and enable us to create a new brand identity toolbox.
• A carefully selected colour palette – reinforcing the Welsh aspect
• The typeface chosen was specifically to help mirror the logo
• The diagonals (or mountains) on the DMM were used as direction arrows and content dividers – strengthening the brand
• The design of the logo was transferred to DMM Professional bring the brand under one style
• The product catalogues were redesigned using the new brand toolbox
• Advertising, posters and packaging was designed and produced for the brand identity design relaunch at the International German Roadshow later that year.
Concept, design and project managed by Paul whilst at Fathom Creative Ltd
Below: the initial logo health check we performed on the existing DMM logo
Below: the finished DMM Climbing logo – this formed the basis of the redesign of the DMM brand identity
Below: the finished DMM Professional logo – bringing the two businesses together for the first time